Motor Vehicle Accident Claims

Sciaccas have expert motor vehicle accident lawyers in Brisbane who can provide advice for those needing legal help anywhere in Queensland. We provide legal services to a range of clients, ensuring their rights are protected at all stages throughout the claims process.

The area of law which applies to motor vehicle accidents is constantly under review. As motor vehicle accident claims experts it is our job to be across the law and regulatory changes which affect the rights and entitlements of Claimants who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents.

Motor Vehicle Accidents in Queensland

If you were injured in a car accident, truck accident, bicycle accident, or any other motor vehicle – it’s possible that you may have compensation entitlements under Queensland law.

Compensation is typically available through Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurers, which is who will end up paying you the compensation should you be successful in bringing about a claim.

It doesn’t matter if the other vehicle was unregistered or unidentified, you may still be able to make a claim but strict time limits apply, so contact us immediately to avoid missing out on a claim.

What do I need to prove in order to make a motor vehicle claim?

A lawyer will work with you as you will need to prove:

  • The person who caused the injury owed you a ‘duty of care’ for your safety
  • The ‘duty of care’ was breached
  • You have been injured as a result

It’s important to note that injuries aren’t always physical. Psychological injuries or stress related injuries following motor vehicle accidents are common and can be claimed for as well

How much motor vehicle compensation can I receive?

How much you receive in compensation very much depends on your situation and the severity of your injuries.

A lawyer should be able to give you a good idea of your rights once they know more about the facts of your case and it has been investigated.

Who will pay me the compensation?

In most cases, the insurance company of the driver who caused the accident will pay the compensation to you rather than the driver themselves.

The driver typically doesn’t pay anything out of their own pocket so they don’t have to find lawyers to represent them. Their insurer will deal with everything.

What can I claim compensation for?

The law surrounding motor vehicle accidents in Queensland allows a person to claim for:

  • Medical and hospital expenses
  • Loss of income
  • Travelling expenses
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Rehabilitation expenses
  • Any home help or nursing help (paid or unpaid), providing certain conditions are met.

Claiming compensation for damage to your motor vehicle and contents is done separately through your motor vehicle insurance provider.

When should I approach a lawyer?

It’s important you get the right advice as soon as possible following a motor vehicle accident.

There are strict time limits which apply to motor vehicle claims, and waiting too long may mean you forgo the right to make a claim.

Need to speak with a lawyer? Contact us direct using our online form.